torsdag 1 november 2007

Dear Mr/Ms anonymous

中國人既然有那麼多的缺點,為什麼你們要選擇學習中文
,為什麼要留在中國?
你們其中一位不是中國人嗎? 可笑的是你擁有中國人的外表,居然在恥笑中國人。可惜你不能脫皮、易骨、換血、改貌。如果可以,你一定是那種極度種族歧視的"老外";如果可以,你一定是那種自以為是、不知所謂、貪慕虛榮的"老外";如果可以,你一定是那種六親不認、毫無人情味的"老外"。
真替那位在中國家庭長大的小姐感到悲哀,無論在中國的土地上,還是混在西方國家的人群中,你永遠都是中國人!!!!!!

Translation:

If Chinese people have so many flaws, why do you study Chinese? Why do you even stay in China? Isn't one of you Chinese? The funny thing is that you have a Chinese appearance but you're still laughing at Chineses. It's a pity that you can't change your skin, your bones, your blood and your look. If you could, you'll surely be one of those arrogant, egocentric, pathetic, shallow "Laowais" (Western ppl); You surely is one of those origin-denying, cold, soulless laowais. I feel so sorry for that girl who grew up in a Chinese family, no matter if you´re on Chinese soil or among other people in the west, you´ll always be a Chinese!!!!!!!

Well, very well-written. I really like the way you attack me for that nonsence "You know you´ve lived in China too long when..."-entry.
Firstly, I need to inform you that it wasn't supposed to be a I-hate-China-thing, which I'm sure most people understood from the beginning. It was just a funny thing, I'm sorry that you got so upset, but why did you? I did not write that list, I found it somewhere and there's one for Sweden as well and we all laugh about that. I respect you for you patriotism, but that was just overkill.

I bet you somehow agree with some of the points but you're too proud to admit that.
Seriously, what's written isn't lies nor jokes we've made out of the blue. Those are alla based on daily observations and don't say that you've never seen a man wearing a suit when digging or that you've never seen somebody blow his or her nose without using tissue. And don't you dare telling me that there's no air pollution.

I'm not saying that all Chinese people are like that, but there are some.

The second thing I want to bring up is that I-don't-acknowledge-my-heritage-issue. I sometimes feel ashamed of the ways Chinese people thinks and deals with things. But that doesn't make me a "soulless laowai". Being a Chinese isn't something I chose (Oops, no I'm not saying that I don't want to be a Chinese) but those listed behaviours and acts are actually something people chose to do.
They shouldn't deny it when they have the guts to do it.

Many of the statements that are listed are also very harmless and nothing to go drama queen over. I mean, "54. You go to the local shop in pajamas" and "62. You buy a top-of-the-line karaoke machine"are just fun things about China that are worth mentioning to people. The list is not made to aggregate or make fun of China or its people, it's something that people can read and either agree with, or laugh at. I, Josefin, (the laowai) felt that many of these statements were very true since I've now been here for two months and have had the chance to see many of them actually come to surface.

So please, Mr/Ms. Anonymous, don't go bananas over something that is nothing more than a jelly made of cherries, pretty please.

Josefin & Jeanette

2 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

Hej Josefin och Jeanette
Bra avarat. Mvh Josefins päron

Anonym sa...

hahaha' sådana där brev får jag nästan varje dag


så otroligt värdelöst